27th Nov to 2nd Dec 2018
9th to 14th April 2019
23rd to 28th July 2019
Venue: Bruntingthorpe Proving Ground, Bruntingthorpe, Lutterworth, Leics, LE17 5QS
The Detection Dog Handler Qualification
Six day course including a final day Detection Dog Handler Assessment
Succesful attendees on this course will receive the recognised Open College Network Accredited Certification "Detection Dog Handler'
The UK College Of Scent Dogs is affiliated to a Registered Learning Centre for The Open College Network
Who is this course and accreditation for:-
Those wishing to gain the recognised 'Detection Dog Handler' OCN accreditation
Those working or interested in working within the Search Dog sector
Those interested in Operational Detection Dog work
Those wishing to improve their own dog's search potential
- The study of canine scent recognition, where the student will focus upon the structure and function of the dogs’ olfactory system
- The canine ‘umwelt’ of scent, how the dogs’ world is based upon living in an olfactory environment, and how we can enhance this through scent-work
- The emotional learning behind scent, using this to address behavioural issues, building canine confidence, and improving motivation behind day-to-day tasks.
- How scent plays a major role in the predatory motor pattern using scent-work to complete these ‘hard-wired’ instincts to improve cognitive ability and performance.
- Design and develop your own canine scent-work studio. Learn how to construct and develop the necessary equipment for your journey as a scent dog handler
- Canine learning theories. Understand and develop different canine learning methods and apply these to scent work
- Understand and develop the use of important course learning theories as a troubleshooting guide. As an adult learner you will be introduced to useful mnemonics that will assist in operational and environmental troubleshooting
- Develop training techniques understanding how to train the passive indication and proof the dog’s abilities
- Develop the natural search abilities of your dog, increasing the canine/human bond
- Understand the importance of Safety, Efficiency and Control within the operational arena
- Participate in developing canine search, covering area, route, building and vehicle search.
- Learn a safe and systematic search technique that can be transferred to the operational environment.
- Understand how to develop your dog and maintain the standard for search in preparation for advanced work
- Understand the importance of keeping detailed training logs and self-reflective practice
- Engage in daily ‘social-learning’ and feedback sessions, where the student will be encouraged in discussing ‘What went well and why” supported with ‘Even better if”
The final day of the course will be an OCN Accredited assessment where the student will be assessed in the following criteria
- Conduct a safe systematic search in the following deployments, which will take the form of an operational demonstration, the student and dog will search:-
- Detect and discuss the ‘Tacit Dimension’ of search during your ‘deployment’
- Identify potential hazards during the search, that are present in the operational environment.
- Demonstrate full safety control and efficiency throughout the search.
- Demonstrate the correct handling and positioning of target scent
- Have the required understanding in basic canine learning theories
- Discuss and explain the importance of record keeping for problem solving and development
Rob Hewings BSc, MA. PGDip
- 25 years Metropolitan Police Dog Section (1991-2016)
- 9 years Instructor Metropolitan Police Dog Training Establishment(2007-2016)
- Operational General Purpose Dog Handler
- Part of the elite Firearms Support Dog Unit
- Specialist Search Dog Instructor
- Explosive Search Dog Instructor
- Victim Remains Recovery Introduction Course
- Evidence and legislation instructor
Course limited to 8 attendees only.
Attendees bring their own dog to the course.
This course is focused on the eduction and skill set of the Handler.
Once booked, attendees will be contacted to discuss and arrange the target scents that will be used on the course.
The course fee includes the course, assessment, OCN verification, registration and certtification.